Monday, July 16, 2012

So let me get this right...

It would be easy to start from the beginning, I suppose.  But, I have a feeling you would be disinterested by the first paragraph's end.  Instead, let's start from the end & work our way back.


"I had prepared myself for my infertility, now what?" I said to myself.


I hung up the phone and stood there in disbelief.  Where do we go from here?  Who can I talk to? What are our options now? What could be the cause of this?  How am I going to tell my husband?


You have 2 options, but the first option I am highly opposed to.  You could choose to repeat the test or you could seek help with a world renown specialist, whom I highly recommend.  


There are many reasons this could have happened.  There could be a blockage, a hormonal balance, a genetic disorder or something else.  


The results are back & they revealed no sperm.  He collected a 4ml specimen, which is a very good size.  However, there were no sperm detected.  


Hello, this is Dr. P & I have the results of your husband's semen analysis ((Heart sinks into my stomach.. why is my OB calling me directly, instead of a a nurse or lab tech??))


I left feeling excited, ecstatic, nervous and more than ready to start our next cycle.  Sure, I had a tiny, ounce of worry for the SA results.  But in my mind, there was nothing to worry about. 


During the appointment, my OB advised me to have MH have a SA done.  He made a good point.  He stated that we could go ahead with treatment & wait 3-4 months before a SA, but should the results turn out less than favorable, we would have wasted those 3-4 months.


And there we were.  6+ months of trying, hopeful, optimistic & excited for our future treatment options.  I was advised that with my age & diagnosis, we had optimal hope for conception.  He prescribed me Provera to jumpstart a new cycle & gave us the option to start clomid, pending the SA results.  


Monday 7/9/12: Follow-up appointment with my OB to discuss our options for conception.  I was diagnosed with PCOS at age 18 after many ultrasounds, bloodwork etc.  My OB had advised me to seek his consult if I was not pregnant & not having regular cycles after 6 months of actively trying.  

No comments:

Post a Comment